Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Blood of Patriotism

It was Fathers Day at School. Everything was set. Sophie was ready with her pony tail up, that favorite bow frock and her red cut shoes. She couldn’t wait to go. But, Mamma wanted her to stay back at home. She didn’t want to send her little girl alone.  But with her favorite frock, yet to be shown to her friends, Sophie couldn’t stay back. She began to weep. Mamma couldn’t see her tears. And, she decided to take her little girl to the school. She didn’t want her girl to face, this day alone. She didn’t know what to tell to her classmates.  But Sophie was not a bit worried. She knew what to say and how to say. But her Mamma had all the fears, if her little daughter would get hurt. She tried once again to keep her daughter at home, but Sophie was not ready to listen. She couldn’t wait anymore to show her bow frock and the pair of beautiful red cut shoes before her classmates.But, was it only for that? No..She wanted to speak. Yes, she was too eager to speak about her daddy, whom she could never see or talk.
They left to the school. The school auditorium was filled with daddies all around. The children were too restless in their seats. Everybody wanted to introduce their daddy to their friends. All were too impatient. Teacher called one by one to introduce their daddy. The seconds passed very slowly. And at last, Teacher called Sophie’s name. The children turned back and stared. They all were searching for her Daddy, who was not present. Where is her daddy? , a boy shouted from the back. She doesn’t have one, another one replied with a giggle. Sophie heard this.  And was she offended? No. Not at, all. She stayed cool and calm. She smiled up at her mom and looked back at her teacher, who asked her to go on. She slowly began to speak. And then, came out from the mouth of six year old little girl, those incredible words.  
It is such a special day but my daddy couldn’t be here. But I wanted you to know, all about my daddy. My daddy loves me so much. He told me stories. He taught me to fly a kite. He took me for movies. He shared me ice creams. He bought me toys. Though you cannot see him, he is with me here, by my side.
The children and their daddies present in the hall were wondering. They didn’t understand anything. To end up their wonder, Sophie continued...
You know, he was a Major in the Indian Army. He loved and respected our Nation. He wanted to serve India and her citizens. He always told us that it is better to die for our Nation rather than be killed in an accident. When he came for his last vacation, I heard him telling mamma to take care of me well, even if anything happens to him. And that day, Mamma cried a lot.
  He was ready to sacrifice his life for our motherland. Whenever, I told him JAIHIND, he told me that it is not just a phrase or slogan to be uttered and that, it is a feeling to be felt within. He often told us that he feel proud to be an Army Officer. When others called it Army, he called it as Life. Last year, he was killed while fighting against Terrorist Attack. He left us to save the Nation.  He sacrificed his life for our Motherland.
 Even though he is apart, he lives in my heart forever. Whenever I close my eyes, I can see him. I am proud to be his daughter. I don’t want to hide away from you or cry for his soul because he always told me that I am his brave daughter and here I am.. I love my daddy so much.
When she finished with her voice soft, she clearly conveyed the message that she wanted to convey.  And then for those few seconds, she closed her eyes…Yes! she closed her eyes tight and saw her daddy there along with the other daddies, who were present in the hall. And to the surprise, she witnessed the room full of daddies and children, all starting to close their eyes, as she did. Nobody said what they saw before them. Nobody said what they felt inside. It was perfect silence. Perhaps for those seconds, even they might have seen her brave daddy at her side.
Hearing the daughters words, which was wise beyond her years, somewhere from the crowd of daddies, her mamma stood up in tears. She stood up for the love of her husband, who was not in her life. She felt proud of her husband who gave her a proud daughter. She smiled to herself and spoke to that man, who lived inside her heart. Yes, she uttered those words in silence.
 She is your daughter Rish... Your blood is running in her. ..Your blood of patriotism…


  
P.S:  This is an unforgettable Independence Day.  For the first time in my life, fever caught me on an August 15th. Better late than never and so do, I am here with a special post.  The inspiration to write such a story is a poem, which I had read recently. I just manipulated it to my story. Here is the poem.
Patriotism is not, watching a cricket match or those six medals of London Olympics or updating a Facebook status or writing a story, as I did...It is a feeling…a sensation which has to be felt inside. A feeling of affection that you feel when you see your mother after a long time, the care that you render to her when she feels sick and the bond that keeps you attached to her, however far away you go. Our Nation is our mother.  Let us stand together for her, despite all those happy and sad days. Let us love her with all her faults.      My  late wishes to all on this day of Indian Independence....

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank u so much for ur support brother :)

      Delete
  2. See this is why I was so upset with your decision.. you know what.

    Superb post. Never stop writing, Ashitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you support me a lot these days. Tats y, I am back...
      Thanks a lot, Anupam..

      Delete
  3. Gr8 one with full of patriotism and only patriotism.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Madhavi.. Thank u for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. That was a good one Ashitha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Cartic..Glad that u liked it..

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...